AuthorTec File Doctor
This tool is located on the Developer tab ribbon in Word.
AuthorTec File Doctor performs three major tasks. Click the button to reveal a drop down menu. Select the task you need to perform:
- Rename files
Convert Word files to other document formats
- Add password protection for opening and editing Word documents
All of these functions can be performed on multiple files and saves you from having to perform the tasks manually, one file at a time.
RENAME - How to Use
The Rename function can rename any file on your computer.
- Rename all files in a designated folder
Only rename the files you individually select
In addition, these optional controls are available as you use the Rename function:
- Partial file name or Full file name replacement
Add a Prefix to the file names
- Add a Suffix to the file names
Add an automatic numbering scheme to the file names
- Replace or remove the file extension, or remove a specified number of characters from the front or end of the file name.
Special considerations when using the Rename tool…
- All renaming options work individually or collectively so you can perform each rename action one at a time on the files you want to rename, or you can make all of the adjustments in one fully encompassing action.
The “Find” and “Replacement” of text is case sensitive.
- If you are fully replacing the names of all files in a folder you must use the “numbering” option so that each file ends up with a unique name.
In a partial replacement of file name text, you can leave the “Replacement” text box empty and this results in the removal of matching “Find” text from the file name.
- Replacing or removing a file name extension does not convert the file to a different file format. It only hides the file’s actual format type. Some organizations use this for security purposes.
If you want to add file extensions to files that currently do not have file extensions, then use the “Add Suffix” option of this tool. If you want to remove file extensions, then designate in the Replace Extension “From” box the extension to remove and leave the Replace Extension “To” box empty.
When the renaming process completes, if there were any exceptions generated you will be notified. The exceptions will be listed in a file “AuthorTec Exceptions Report” and placed on your Desktop.
CONVERT - How to Use
The Convert function only works with Word document files.
- It does not work with Word Template files.
It should not be used with document files that contain macros because the macros are removed.
- Convert ALL files in a specific folder
Convert only selected files
- Convert the old binary (Word 97 – 2003) .doc files to the (Word 2007 and later) .docx format
Convert .docx files to .PDF files
- Convert .docx files to .HTM files
Convert .docx files to .RTF files
Convert .docx to filtered htm
Convert .PDF to .docx
How to Start & Where to Find the Converted Files
- Select a Convert function and click OK
Navigate to the file to be converted and select it - but do not open it
- The conversion process will begin
Do not do anything else on your computer while the conversion is taking place
Once the conversion is complete:
- Navigate back to the folder where the original file is stored - that will will still be there; it is preserved for you
If you select the option, you will see a new sub-folder named "Converted" and your converted file is in the Converted folder
Special considerations when using the Convert tool…
- To perform the conversion the software needs to open the file to be converted. Thus, if the file is password protected you will need to provide the password.
Optionally, you can also add a Prefix and/or Suffix to all converted files and you can have the converted files saved into a separate folder, which we highly recommend.
Any processing exceptions that occur during the file conversion process will be listed in the AuthorTec Exceptions Report, which is placed on your Desktop.
- Be aware that converting very large files to PDF can take a number of minutes, that is why we include a visual Progress Bar of the operation.
Be patient and let the software do its job. While it is running you’ll see flashing in the status bar at the bottom of your screen and the cursor will be spinning.
The function of converting from .PDF to .docx. only runs on a PC in Word 2013 and later.
The conversion does very well with relatively simple documents. If the document has tables or graphics, the resultant file is not so well structured.
The primary purpose of this function is to assist when all you have is a .PDF file and not the original source document, and you needed the text to reconstruct a new document.
- The function of converting .docx to filtered htm removes all the Tags and Style elements of Word making them smaller, more compact and less likely to cause issues when inserting them on your web pages.
If you are using Microsoft Office 2016 for the Mac, this important feature is missing from Word 2016. Luckily AuthorTec File Doctor can remedy that problem.
PROTECT - How to Use
The Protect function also only works with Word documents.
On the documents you designate, Protect can be used to:
- Apply new passwords
- Remove passwords on the documents you designate.
To update or remove passwords
To update or remove passwords from a document requires that you know the current passwords applied to the document.
At the same time as you are protecting the designated documents, you can:
- Add a Prefix or Suffix to the file name
Store the newly protected documents in a new sub-folder to the original location.
NOTE: Processing exceptions will appear in the AuthorTec Exceptions Report located on your Desktop.
Uninstall on a PC
Should you need to uninstall AuthorTec File Doctor please follow these steps:
- Close Word
Open Control Panel
- Select Programs > Uninstall
Select AuthorTec File Doctor
- Click Uninstall and allow a few moments for the uninstall to complete
- Open Word and click the Developer tab
If you do not see AuthorTec File Doctor then you are all set, the software is uninstalled
- If AuthorTec File Doctor is still showing up in Word, follow these additional steps:
Go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
Find AuthorTec File Doctor in the list and delete it
Go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Great Circle Learning\AuthorTec\2.0
Delete the folder named FileDoctor
The uninstall is now complete
Not finding the help you need?
Let us know. We are happy to help.