Special LGPro Automation Functions
LeaderGuide Pro Plus provides unique automation functionality to make fast work of all the tedious but necessary tasks you otherwise need to do manually as you build your facilitator and participant guides.
Special automates five areas of effort:
- Working with PowerPoint or Keynote
- Working with Pictures
- Extracting content
- Syncing content
- Show/Hide Content Block icons and/or entire content block rows
About the Special Drop Down Menu
When you click on Special you will see a drop down menu. The menu is divided into categories of effort.
Each category starts with a heading that is text only. For example, the first heading is "PowerPoint or Keynote Style Slide Images".
Each of the category functions have an icon next to them. If you click on a category heading nothing will happen.
Click on the Special function you need.
This will open a new dialog that will step you through completing the task at hand. Built in instructions and embedded videos are included in many of the dialogs you will use.
Most of the tasks are divided into a series of simple steps. Please do not multi-task while running any of the Special functions because LeaderGuide Pro is already multi-tasking for you in the background. Wait until the Special function has completed before doing anything else on your computer. All of the Special functions complete very quickly, usually within a few moments of execution.
To view the Special Menu as a task pane
- Click the very first option in the Special drop down menu: Show Special Functions Task Pane
- A Task Pane will appear on the right side of your screen
- Click the task pane buttons to execute the actions you require
Working with PowerPoint or Keynote Style Images
The Special PowerPoint function makes it possible to interact with PowerPoint from within your LeaderGuide Pro document in Word to complete five key tasks:
- Add PowerPoint images and notes or Keynote images
- Replace images and notes
- Create PowerPoint with Word
- Transfer Notes to PPT
- Update TOC Outline tags
The Keynote functionality is limited to Adding and Replacing Keynote slide images.
Learn more in the PowerPoint Tutorial.
Working with Picture Images
The Special Pictures function makes it possible to import multiple images into LeaderGuide Pro documents as extractable objects, in two different layouts.
- LGPro Picture Blocks set up the same as Content Blocks. In 3-column guidebooks pictures are inserted into column 2 by default, with the option to add them to column 3.
- The new LGPro Picture Containers have a minimal first column, allowing images to expand to fill the available space.
This function also provides the ability to replace images, similar to the way LGPro works with slides. Learn more in the Pictures Tutorial.
The Special Resize function makes it possible to resize multiple images at once.
Both PowerPoint slide images and picture images can be resized, all or selectively.
Images are always added at 100% and will fill the available space within their position on a page.
Resizing is based on scaling down from 100% or back up. Learn more in the Resize Tutorial.
Tip: If you think you might need to replace images before completing your project, hold off on resizing because images always come into your document at 100%. If you resize and then replace you will have the extra work of resizing again, selectively.
The Special Extract function makes it possible complete three types of extracts from your LeaderGuide Pro documents.
- Extract a new guidebook from an existing guidebook.
- Extract LGPro Assessments, Case Studies and Handouts as stand-along Word documents.
- Mark any content within an LGPro document for extract it into a new Word document.
Learn more about extracting new guidebooks from existing in the Extract New Tutorial.
Learn more about extracting Assessments, Cases and Handouts in the Extract Cases Tutorial.
Custom Extract Tools
To Mark Selective Blocks:
- Place your cursor at the start of a block.
- Click on Special.
- Click on Mark Selective Blocks.
- Repeat as needed.
To Mark Areas of Content:
- Highlight the area.
- Click on Special.
- Click on Bracketed Area Extract.
- Repeat as needed.
Show/Hide Icons and Content Blocks and Icons
The Special Show/Hide function works like a toggle switch and uses Word's Hidden Characters functionality to perform two important tasks for you.
- Show/Hide makes it possible to turn Content Block icons into non-printing characters. This prevents them from appearing on printed pages, in PDF files, or on a computer screen when the paragraph marks are turned off.
- Show/Hide can also be applied to entire Content Blocks. The ability to make entire Content Blocks (cells 1-3) non-printing allows you to create just one facilitator guide or just one participant guide for multiple audiences. Learn more in the Show/Hide Tutorial.
Sync Content and Page Number References
The Special Sync function performs two important tasks to ensure consistency and increase productivity.
- Sync updates content between companion documents. This allows you to make changes in one LGPro document and use Sync to apply the changes in another LGPro document.
- Sync also provides the option to insert page number references from one document into the other. For instance, it is a common practice to insert participant workbook page number references into the companion facilitator guide. Page numbers are inserted below the selected block icons.
This function is tied to the LGPro Content Block icons and is a one for one process. The documents being synced must each contain the same number of Content Blocks of the type being synced. For example, if you are syncing Key Points blocks, both documents must have the same number of Key Points blocks, to avoid unexpected results.
You select what to Sync by block type, such as Say, Workbook, Activity, etc. LGPro syncs each occurrence of each selected block type between the two documents
Learn more in the Syncing Tutorial.