Solutions to Common Problems
If you don't find the help you need or if the suggested solution does not fix your issue please contact us so that we can help.
If you no longer see the LeaderGuide Pro tab in Word, and thus cannot access the ribbon, this probably means the add-in has become disabled.
Go to File > Options/Help > Add-ins to find and fix the problem.
If you open Word and receive a message that your LeaderGuide Pro software is not activated that either means that your subscription license has expired or it is possible that IT Maintenance has taken place and inadvertently disabled your software.
Training At A Glance Not Updating
If your Training At A Glance is not reflecting all of the modules in your leader guide, click the TAG button in the Controls group on the LeaderGuide Pro ribbon. If that does not help, this probably means that either there is a problem with the module name style on the "missing" module pages or your modules were inadvertently added after the red text that defines the end of your facilitator guide.
Table of Contents Not Updating
If your Table of Contents is not listing all of your modules and lessons click the Update All Fields button in the Controls group on the LeaderGuide Pro ribbon. If that does not help, this probably means that either there is a problem with the module and lesson name styles for the "missing" module and lessons or your modules and lessons were inadvertently added after the red text that defines the end of your facilitator guide.
Header or Footer Error
Reference not Found
If you are seeing an error in your headers or footers that says "reference not found" that means that a style related to program name, module name, revision date or copyright has either been inadvertently changed or removed. This is easy to fix by reapplying the style to the source reference.
Not Getting Expected Results
If you are not getting what you expect when you run an extract this most likely means that there is a mismatch between the icon graphics you see and the icon styles LeaderGuide Pro reads to complete the extract. This can happen when icons are copied and pasted, or when the icon cells are altered by adding more than one icon or by adding text into the icon cell.
Not Getting Expected Results
If you are not getting what you expect when you replace slides, this most likely means that there is a mismatch between the slide numbering in your PowerPoint file and the slide numbering in your facilitator guide.
How to Remove LeaderGuide Pro
from your Computer
If you do not need LeaderGuide Pro it makes sense to uninstall it. Follow these simple steps to correctly remove it from your computer.
How to Handle Editing by non-LGPro Users
Your LeaderGuide Pro files are Word documents, which means that your colleagues can edit them.
Manage Parts Collections List Empty
If you go to Manage Parts and the box that contains the list of Collections is empty, simply close and re-start Word.
Questions from users like you...
Q. A faster way to Customize & Add Lines?
Q. The default for new module titles is to have a black box around them. How do I change this in the style guide for the Collection?
1. Go to Parts > Manage Collections
2. Click on Create > Highlight Default > Click Continue
3. Give your new Collection a Name > Click OK
4. Highlight your new Collection > Click on Modify
5. Click on Guidebook Paragraph Styles > Facilitator > Open
6. Place your cursor in LGP Module Name
7. Open Word’s Styles box (click the AA button on the LGPro ribbon)
8. Find LGP Module Name in the list in that box
9. Click on the little drop down arrow > Click Modify
10. Click on Format > Borders > None > OK
11. SAVE your work
12. Click on Close in the LGPro task pane
13. Click on Close again
14. Your change will appear in any NEW leader guide you create using your custom collection
Q. At the beginning of each new lesson there is a small row under the Lesson Title that is shaded grey and says “Facilitator” – is there a way to get rid of this as the default option so that it does not need to be manually deleted each time a new lesson is created?
A. The lesson heading row only appears in a leader guide and it is hard wired, so you can’t remove it. BUT… you can change the headings to whatever you prefer, including nothing (meaning the grey row will be there with no text in it).
You can edit what the column headings say every time you start a new leader guide, by changing what is listed for Column Headings in the New Guidebook dialog box.
OR… to change it globally, for every leader guide you will create, follow these steps:
1. Click on Parts > Logo, Copyright and More
2. Edit the Column Headings
3. Click OK > Click Close
Q. Is there a way to make the default text in a header read “Leader Guide” instead of “Facilitator Guide” instead of manually changing it each time a new LG is created?
A. Yes. Do this in your custom collection. Your change will appear in all new leader guides you create. Follow these steps:
1. Go to Parts > Manage Collections
2. Click on Modify > Highlight Your Custom Collection > Click Continue
3. Click on Naming Conventions > Facilitator > Open
4. Make your changes > Click OK > Click Close
Q. What is the best way to work with PPT notes to minimize the amount of editing work after i import my slides and notes into my facilitator guides?
A. You have several options related to PPT notes:
You can write and format your notes in PPT and when you run the import, check the Format box in the last dialog box you see as you are setting up the import.
This tells LGPro to try to maintain your slide notes formatting. But Word & PPT format text differently, so it won’t be a perfect transfer probably, but try it and see if it’s acceptable. Downsides of this approach are that your fonts and styles will be inconsistent, and that if you aren’t using the LGPro styles you cannot easily update the styles in use when attaching a different collection because if the text isn’t in the LGP style formats, Attach can’t update the styles.
You can write your notes in PPT but skip the formatting, just write.
Then, when you run the import, do not check the Format box in the last dialog box you see as you are setting up the import. This allows LGPro to simply bring your slide notes in as LGP Text, and you can then use the LGP Text/Table formatting buttons to add formatting in the LGPro styles, for consistency. Using the LGPro styles also allows you to easily update the styles in use when attaching a different collection. If the text isn’t in the LGP style formats, Attach can’t update the styles.
You can keep notes in PowerPoint to a minimum initially, or have no notes at all… but still import both slides and notes so that you get the Speaker Notes place holders in your leader guide.
Then, write your notes in the Speaker Notes blocks. And then, click on Special on the LGPro ribbon and use the Transfer Note Text to PPT function on the Special drop down menu. Best Practice: Open the PowerPoint file you intend to transfer notes into before you run the Transfer. Make sure it is the correct file and that there are no critical notes in the PPT file notes areas because they will be overwritten.
As an Elements user, can I:
Simply adjust the page margin on the left side?
Move from 3 columns to 2 columns?
Because LeaderGuide Pro creates Word files you can do whatever you need to do, based on Word’s capabilities.
With that said:
- When you start a new leader guide or participant workbook LGPro sets the document parameters for you, including the page margins and the column widths.
- And then as you add content, those document standards are maintained, both for consistency and to ensure a professional appearance.
With LeaderGuide Pro Plus you can:
- Customize the software to adjust the column widths, and more.
- Adjust the page margins by choosing “Regular” or “Wide” under ROWS as you start a new document.
- Extract content from a 2-column document to a 3-column, or vice versa.
With LeaderGuide Pro Elements your ability to customize the software is limited. Y
- You do not have the option to customize the column widths.
- Nor do you have the ability to extract from a 2-column to 3-column.
NOTE: Neither program offers the ability to mix 2-column and 3-column. You must choose one or the other.
Regarding working with ROWS:
As you start a new LeaderGuide Pro document you are presented with options related to ROWS. The ROWS options refer to the table row width. In a portrait orientation:
- Regular width is 6.3" and the page margin is 1"
- Wide width is 7.3" and the page margin is approximately 0.5"
With Elements your only ROWS option is “Wide”.
So if you need to adjust the margins or the table row widths in an Elements document:
- Use Elements as is to get your file built.
- Do not manually add page breaks within your lessons, leave them as one continuous table.
- Once you have all the content in and everything as you need it (except for margins and column row widths) make a copy of your file.
- Open the copy and use Word to make the adjustments you need. (Having the lessons as continuous tables will make adjusting column widths faster and easier.)