How to Create Custom
Customize functions are built in to the Learning Design Tool software. To access the customize functions click Customize on the LDT ribbon.
You will be presented with a drop down menu of options.
- Select Create Custom Cover Pages from the menu
This will bring up the Create or Modify Cover Pages dialog box
About this Customizing Function
Use this to modify a copy of the Default Cover Page to better meet your needs, or to add a completely custom cover page.
Ultimately you can create as many custom cover pages as you need.
Because it is easiest to modify an existing cover page we recommend that you start by working from a copy of the Default Cover Page.
Once you have additional cover pages you will be able to make copies of those, to then modify.
If you already have a custom cover, or plan to create one from scratch, you will need to copy two items from the Default Cover Page and paste them into your custom cover before adding it to your Learning Design Tool collection. See full instructions below.
Working with the Create or Modify Cover Pages dialog box
- You will always start by clicking the arrow next to Select to pick a cover page to start from... unless all you are doing is adding an already existing new cover page to the collection from somewhere else
Next you will Choose an Action
Next you will click GO
Then, look in the Message Area for direction on what to do next. Usually you will need to click GO in between choosing an action and performing it
Use the Editing Area to rename a cover page you have copied
- The Validate and Save buttons will light up when you have a cover page to add
To bring up Help as you work, click on the Learning Design Tool logo. And when you are done working on a custom cover page click CLOSE to close this dialog box
How to Create a Custom Cover from the Default
1) Start in the Select a Cover Page area
- Click the arrow to see the list of available cover pages
- You will only see the Default Cover Page until you add some custom covers
2) Click on Default Cover Page to select it
3) Click Make a copy in the Choose an Action area
4) Click GO
5) Click the arrow in the Select a Cover Page box
6) Click on Default Cover Page_Copy in the list of available pages
7) Click Rename the one selected in the Choose an Action area
8) Click GO
9) In the Editing Area type over Default Cover Page_Copy with a new name
10) Click Save
11) Click the arrow in the Select a Cover Page box
12) Click on Your New Cover Page in the list of available pages
13) Click Modify the one selected in the Choose an Action area
14) Click GO and now you will see the cover page you selected
15) Use Word to make your changes...
But do not remove or change the style names of the placeholders that say:
- Course ID: [RMXX-###]
- New Design Plan
You can re-position these two placeholders to anywhere on the page by copying and pasting, but you must leave them on the page
You can change the fonts using Word, just do not change the style names
16) Replace the Great Circle Learning logo with your logo, which you can position anywhere on the page
17) When all of your changes are complete, click Validate
18) Look in the Messages area for "Cover page styles are valid"
19) Click Save and you will see a message asking if you are done making changes to this cover page for now. If yes, click YES
20) Click CLOSE in the Create or Modify Cover Pages dialog box
The default cover page is set up as a table in Word.
You can remove the table to simply work in a regular Word page if you prefer. To remove the table:
- Click the little square at the top left corner of the table to select it
- Click the Layout tab along the top of your screen in Word (you only see this tab when your cursor is in a table)
- Click Convert to Text at the end of the Layout ribbon
- You will see a dialog box like this
- Click Paragraph Marks under "Separate text with"
- There will be a check next to "Convert nested tables"
- Click OK and you will now have all of the key elements of the cover page in a plain Word document instead of in a table in Word
- Follow steps 15 - 20 above to make your changes
How to Add an Existing Custom Cover
If you already have a custom cover, or plan to create one from scratch, you will need to copy two items from the Default Cover Page and paste them into your custom cover before adding it to your Learning Design Tool collection.
1) Open your custom cover page
2) Follow steps 1 - 14 above to create and access a copy of the Default Cover page
3) Copy the entire table row that holds "Course ID: RMXX-###"
You must copy the table row, even if you don't want the Course ID to be in a table format. And even if you don't want to use the Course ID.
4) Paste the copied table row onto your new cover page
- The placement of this item does not matter. Place it wherever you prefer; it just needs to be there.
5) Copy "New Design Plan" and Paste the copied text onto your new cover page.
- Again, the placement of this item does not matter. Place it wherever you prefer; it just needs to be there.
6) Close out of the Create or Modify Cover Pages dialog box
7) If desired, follow the steps above for "To remove the table" to convert the copied table row that holds "Course ID: RMXX-###" to text
8) Under Customize on the LDT ribbon, select the Create or Modify Cover Pages dialog box
9) Click Add a new cover page to the collection function
10) Navigate to and select your cover page file and click OK
11) Select your added cover page from the Select list
12) Click Validate and after receiving confirmation of valid styles click Save
13) Your new cover page will now be available when you start a new design plan
How to Access your Custom Cover Pages
After you create new cover pages they will be available for use when you start a new Design document via the Start a New Learning Design Document dialog box.
Simply click the arrow next to Select New Cover Page and you will see a drop down list of all of your cover pages. Click on the one you need and click OK.