How to use george!
CONVERT: FORMATED TEXT
The Convert group contains 2 buttons that make it easy to translate or make global changes to slide text while maintaining the formatting.
To Work with Formatted Text
Export Formatted Text
- Click on Formatted Text > Export Formatted Text to move a copy of the formatted slide text into a Word document.
- Prior to starting a selective export, use either the PowerPoint normal or slide sorter view and select the specific slides you want to use.
- The exported text will be placed into a series of specially marked 2-column, multiple-row tables in the Word document.
Modify the Text in Word
- Save the new Word document and the work in it to modify the text.
- Be careful not to change the styles, because this would change the PowerPoint formatting.
- To paste text in, use Word's "Paste Special - Keep Text Only" function.
- Do not add content that does not belong on the slides, such as notes.
- Save your work.
When you are ready to update your PowerPoint file
- Open this Word file.
- Open your PowerPoint file.
Note: The Word document may look strange because PowerPoint styles don't look the same when placed into Word.
Import Formatted Text
Before you use the Import Formatted Text function, save a copy of your PowerPoint file with a new name that indicates the change you are making.
Prior to starting a selective import, use either the PowerPoint normal or slide sorter view and select the specific slides you want to use.
When ready, click Import Formatted Text.
Select the Word document to import from and click OK.
Do not do anything else on your computer while the import is taking place.
Once the import is complete, save your PowerPoint file.
And, you can close your "import from" Word file.
Best practice: Open the Word file you will be importing from prior to staring the import process.
- Click Language Setting to change the default language setting for all or selective PowerPoint slides in the open file.
- This will replace the standard PowerPoint “one slide at a time” manual method you otherwise have to do.
- Prior to starting a selective change, use the PowerPoint normal or slide sorter view to select the specific slides you want changed.
Note: This function does not translate the text. It only changes the language setting to set the PowerPoint proofing tool to work with the new language you have chosen. The ability to edit and proof text remains as otherwise provided by your version of Microsoft Office PowerPoint.
As you are in the Convert dialog boxes, click on the george! logo to view written instructions to refresh your memory about how to use the functions provided.
The built-in instructions can also be accessed by clicking on the Help button at the end of the george! ribbon and selecting Written Instructions.